30 August, 2016 - 14:33
The leaders’ meeting, where conditions are meant to be reviewed for holding elections as well as how the agreement from July 20, should take place tomorrow at 13:00, “Meta” has learned from sources within the SDSM party.
“In principle, the meeting should take place tomorrow at 13:00”, the opposition party told us.
The VMRO-DPMNE say that they do not know whether the leaders’ meeting will take place, nor who should be organizing it.
“At the moment, we do not have any information on the leaders’ meeting, however, if you ask us, there have been conditions for elections since April and nothing has changed”, the VMRO-DPMNE responded.
Political parties who are signatories to the Pržino Agreement failed to meet the deadlines stipulated by the agreement which was reached on July 20, before the leaders’ meeting where politicians are meant to determine the date for holding early parliamentary elections.
The agreement came to a standstill during the formation of the ad hoc body to regulate the media during the election campaign, however, the body was meant to fully complete by August 24. The four representatives from the two main parties for several days now can not reach a consensus on the fifth member, who by law, has to be of Albanian ethnicity.
At tomorrow’s meeting of leaders’, if the parties confirm that there are conditions for elections, the SDSM will have to name the new chief editor of the public broadcasting channel, MTV.
Today, the media have been speculating over the identity of the new chief editor, and many believe that the SDSM will propose Santa Argirova, however, all parties have to accept the new editor.
“Meta” tried to get hold of the journalist Argirova to confirm these recent speculations, but for now, we still have not received an answer.
The SDSM also did not confirm whether the information is correct and have said that they will announce the name of new chief editor once the parties have reviewed all agreements.
• 19 August/24 August (expired) – Formation of the ad hoc body for the media
• 31 August – End of deadline for leaders’ meeting
• 2 Septemeber – Opposition to name Chief Editor of MRTV (only if elections are held on 11 December)
• 2 September – Amendments to the Law on the MOI to be suspended concerning the powers of the Minister (Only if elections are held on 11 December)
• 23 July – MPs from Parliament voted in the amendments to the Electoral Code
• 25 July – SEC published the list of the 39.502 disputed voters
• 28 July – MPs voted on amendments to the Law on Internal Affairs, the Law on Audio and Audiovisual Media Services, the Law on Criminal Proceedings and the Law on Government
• 18 August – Registration ends for disputed voters in the SEC